Sunday 13 November 2016

Wanderlust

Hello again!

Today I want to write about my first trip to London that was also my first trip I ever did on my own.


I went to London at the beginning of September, right after my brothers 18th birthday and I started planning it at the end of August so it was quite spontaneous

It was in the middle of my holidays and I wanted to go on an adventure. I always dreamed about exploring a new city and meet new people but I was not confident enough to try and my parents told me it would be too dangerous and I couldn't handle it because my English wasn't good enough and such things. 




Planning my Trip
  
After I had a discussion with my parents about going on a holiday would be too expensive and dangerous I met my best friend to talk to her about it. She already went on many trips and did a year abroad in Spain so she's always the perfect person to talk to about travelling!  

She explained to me how to find cheap flights and a good Hostel so we looked for some good options for me. If you want to search for cheap flights I can reccomend Google Flights or Ryanair. Ryanair has also a very good App you can download. 

First I wanted my best friend to join me but she was in Bulgaria at the same time I went to London so I decided to go on my own. Some other friends asked me if they could join me and I told them they could but I would only speak English with them. I mean, who would start talking to us when we're speaking German in a pub? Probably nobody. So they decided to stay at home because they felt uncomfortable about speaking English.


Telling my parents

I booked a flight and a Hostel in London with my best friends help and told it my parents the next day. They freaked out! My mum was so worried about everyting, she thought I'd get lost or rubbed and I'd spent too much money on everyting. When I told her I payed only 35 Euros for my flights she couldn't believe it. After I explained everything to her like my Hostel is in Central London in a safe area and I already organized my transfer from London Stansted to the city and back she calmed down. My dad just said "She's old enough and her English is better than mine, I'm sure she'll be fine!"  

On the plane to London! :)


Up in the Air

My dad drove me to the airport and I was so excited! It was my second flight and the first one I did on my own. I asked my dad if he would come with me to the Check In because I had to use my phone as my ticket and I was a bit afraid that it would't work out. 

Luckily everything worked out like it should and I said goodbye to my dad, even though I went to London for 6 days it was such a weird feeling! I really was looking forward to my adventure in London but also I was a bit afraid that the things my mum worried about could come true. 

When the plane started I coudn't stop smiling! I was so happy that I was brave enough to go on a holiday on my own. I sat next to a man who was a bit afraid of flying. That's why he started talking to me so he could think about something else than flying. The first minutes I felt pretty insecure about speaking English and I thought I could'n understand him. I found out that I understood everything that he said and it was a really good feeling listen to him. After a while I got more and more confident and I started talking to him too, I told him about my holidays in London, my studies and things like that. 


Be more confident!

The most important thing I've learnd before my holiday even started is to be more confident about using other languages than your mother tounge! It's okay to make mistakes, you don't have to be perfect! Just try to have a conversation and you'll find out that it's easier than you thought! 

Next time I'll tell you about my holidays in London, this Blog Post would get waaaaay too long if I'd tell it now.

I hope you guys like my Post! Let me know in the comments if you ever made similar experiences like I did.


See you soon!
M.  

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! sounds like that was a great journey :-) and you seem to have enjoyed it a lot.
    Though it's much adventurous to travel alone, personally I never like to go on long journey without friends. Traveling with friends has lots of perks. You can have fun with anything while you're with friends :-)
    However, don't know how you speak but you're written english looks quite good and mature.
    Best of luck with your blog
    Salman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you so much! :)
      I get your points as well, sometimes I prefer travelling with my friends too :) But that holiday I wanted to do something on my own.
      Thanks for you compliment about my English! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! It's great when you create a chance to use your language skills, particularly if you're someone who feels nervous about speaking. I remember my first trip on my own to Germany. It wasn't the same as yours because I was going to meet some friends that I'd found online, but we spoke German all the time, so I had to get over my fear of speaking. I'm looking forward to reading about your trip and hope you enjoyed a visit to the town where I was born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for your comment! Exactly, writing helps me to get more confident. Yes, I really enjoyed the trip, I hope I can upload the next blog about my trip soon!

      Delete