Sunday 4 December 2016

What Christmas means to me


Happy 2nd advent everyone! 

Sunday means relaxing and doing the things you had no time for during the week. So I called my parents today and we talked about Christmas and what the plans are for the time between Christmas and New Years Eve. 

That's why I thought about what Christmas means to me and I think it's a good idea for a post. So I can compare my meanings with others.


That's me on Christmas Day in 1995


What Christmas ment to me when I was a Child


I want to be honest. I really love Christmas and I did when I was a child but in a different way than today. At that time I was so excited about all the presents and Christmas Eve was the best day of the year. For your explanation: We unwrap our presents on Christmas Eve, on the 24th in the evening.

Every year we went to a service before we had dinner and unwraped our gifts. It was so hard for me sitting in the church and listening to everything. After we got home we had dinner with my grandparents. We live in the same house but we have two seperated flats so we had dinner in their kitchen. After the dinner we finally came into our living room, that's the time we see our gifts for the first time every year. I couldn't wait to open all my gifts as fast as possible. 
  
The days after Christmas Day we met all of the family, we had a huge lunch together and cake at afternoon. Some of my aunts and uncles live quite far away so I haven't seen them for a few month. Of course, I was happy to see them but I've seen them two month ago so it wasn't really special. 

So I really liked Christmas but the most important and exciting things were all the presents. It wasn't important for me to get something really expensive but I was so happy to have some new stuff. 
  

What Christmas means to me now


Some time ago the meaning of Christmas changed for me. The fact that I live quite far away from my family is an important reason I'd say. I only see them during my holidays so usually two times a year and during Christmas. 

Now I'm always really excited about going home for Christmas, sometimes I even feel a bit homesick. So I try to speak to my family as much as possible. When I'm home my brother and I decorate the Christmas tree, when we were little we didn't enjoy that really much but now we love it! 

At Christmas Day we still go to church but now I really enjoy it. Usually we meet many friends there so we can talk to them and wish them a Merry Christmas. Back at home we have our Dinner with my grandparents but this time I'm patient and want to go on talking to everyone to catch up all the conversations I missed during my time in Landau. 

After the dinner it's time to go upstairs to unwrap the presents. We all stand in front of the Christmas tree to wish each other a Merry Christmas. Usually that's the time my mum starts crying because she's so emotional but since I moved out from home that's my task. It's so nice to see everyone again and I want to keep this moment forever. 

In the meantime I really enjoy the days after Christmas and all the dinners with the whole family. Some of them I only see this time of the year. It is so nice to see everyone again and talk to my aunts and uncles. 

I'm still excited about Christmas every year but in a different way than when I was a child. Now it's even better I'd say, I enjoy every single day of my holiday with really special people around me.


I can't wait to go home this Christmas! 🎄


See you tomorrow!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment